Thursday, July 9, 2009

TV sucks

I've been watching a little more TV these days, especially on days when the next Netflix movie is in the mail. With only an antenna and local channels you get exposed to a whole different world of commercials than you'd see on cable or dish. I think the logic is that if you're paying for TV then you can afford BMWs and managed brokerage accounts, so that's what they advertise. Free TV means you get local fast food, debt consolidation, and divorce lawyers. Interesting, but that's not the point of my rambling...

Local commercials. They don't stick in my head or make me want to buy whatever it is they are selling, but they don't really annoy me and swear the places off either. I'm just in shock at how bad most of them are! I've seriously seen better picture quality on videos taken from camera phones. The only thing worse is the sound, which has so much background noise I wonder if it's intentional.

I lied, that's not the only thing that's worse... the "music" takes the cake. Undoubtedly it's some local "band" that writes and performs the random collection of notes and words. There is a construction company in Des Moines that has a commercial I wish I could find on youtube. The "lyrics" highlight what the company does, and the music sounds a lot like Buddy the Elf singing to his dad. So just sing these lyrics (and make some up as you go) to the Elf tune and you've probably got something better than the commercial. "We can get the job doooone, 'cause that's what we DOOOO. Roofing and siiiiding, windows and doors. On time... qualityyyy.... that's what you get when you choose us."

2 comments:

  1. Also...

    "I'm singing....I'm in a stooooore...and I'm siiiiingiiiing! I'm in a store AND I'M SIIIIIIIIINGIIIIIIING!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Why didn't we going into marketing? Or jingle writing?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.